Hello fellow Encore Hustlers
In yesterdays post I discussed the many websites that now allow us to participate in the sharing economy. Of course, top of the list is Airbnb, the home sharing platform.
Check out this compilation of facts and statistics about Airbnb that appeared in iPropertyManagement.com. For instance, did you that:
- There are over 4 million Airbnb properties and they there are in 191 countries
- Airbnb has about 650,000 hosts across the globe
- There are over 200,000 senior Airbnb hosts, the fastest growing host demographic
- 60 percent (120,000) of these senior Airbnb hosts are senior women, and senior women tend to be the highest rated host group
- Airbnb hosting can be very profitable, the average expected amount being $20,619 for a full two-bedroom house or apartment in a major city
- Fifty percent of the bookings are done through mobile devices and users spend an average of 11 minutes and 31 seconds on the app
Since you have only a few seconds to catch the attention of potential guest as they search for a property you only get once chance to make a good impression. There are several factors that will lock in booking, including: guest ratings, pricing and attractiveness of the on-line listing.
To start try visiting several of the many Airbnb host forums and websites for advice on pricing and marketing your property. You can also engage the services of company, such as hostmaker.com, to help you prepare your listing to make it attractive eye candy. These companies can also help you manage the property if you are so inclined.
Remember, being an Airbnb host is not like having your Aunt Edna come stay for a visit, it is a business and you should treat it as such.
When it comes to preparing your property, try to see it through the eyes of a guest, and follow this advice from Good Housekeeping(UK):
- Clean, clean, clean
- Remove unpleasant odors
- Remove clutter
- Invest in a good mattress
- Provide luxury touches like high thread count linens and plush towels in the bathroom
- Have plenty of hangers in the closet
- Ensure there are plenty of places to plug in electrical devices